The annual OpenEd19 conference is the premier OER meeting each year and this year will be in Phoenix, AZ, Oct 30-Nov. 1st. The three Open Textbooks Pilot program awardees, funded by the Department of Education, will be jointly running a pre-meeting on Oct 29th that focuses on our projects' activities.
- Department of Education (Sharon Leu, Senior Policy Advisor)
- Open Active Textbooks (by the Inspark Teaching Network)
- Get early access to consortia membership and OER
- Learn about Dept. of Ed. funded programs
- See and try emerging OER technologies
- Collaboration & Consortia
- Dept. of Ed. funding, new consortia, grantee collaboration, how to get involved
- New Technologies
- Course builders, customization, VR, simulations, etc.
- Redefining the textbook
- Instructor OER use cases
- 9:30am: Introductions and welcome
- 9:45am: Open Active Textbooks
- See and try interactive courseware and hear how we plan to incorporate more active learning into OER and distribute via the Inspark Teaching Network, a partnership between Arizona State University and edtech platform Smart Sparrow, a Gates Foundation grantee from the Next-Generation Courseware Challenge. Hear about our college partners, such as the Maricopa Millions project, saving students $11M to date.
- 11:30am: Sharon Leu, Senior Policy Advisor, Higher Education. Technology, Dept. of Ed.
- 12:00pm: Lunch
- 1:30pm: LibreTexts
- The LibreTexts project will showcase progress on the greater LibreVerse ecosystem (including textbooks, homework, annotation, jupyter Hub and others) and the LibreNet consortium (how institutions get campus wide access to the LibreVerse). Other topics include the release of the OER Remixer 2.0, our new LibreText bookstore (@ 0% margin) for distribution of physical versions of customized texts, and the LibreMaps infrastructure for effective usage of LibreTexts platform for OER programs on campuses.
- 4:30pm: OpenRN
- Come learn how Chippewa Valley Technical College along with faculty from Wisconsin partnering technical colleges will create five Nursing OER textbooks and 25 associated Virtual Reality scenarios based on WTCS Nursing curriculum. Join us to hear more about the timeline and development of these innovative Nursing Open Educational Resources.
- 5pm: Closing remarks, next steps, and how to get involved
- 5:30pm: Reception at The Lola